Register A Birth
All births must be registered within 42 days
Congratulations on the birth of your baby
Within 42 days of the birth, you must go to the Register Office in the district where your child was born to register the birth.
Who can register the birth?
- The mother of the child
- The father of the child, if legally married to the mother when the child was born or conceived (if this is the case, please bring a marriage certificate to the appointment)
- If the parents are unmarried, either the mother can register alone or, if the father's details are to be entered, both parents need to attend. If both parents' details are on the birth certificate, it shows they have equal rights and responsibilities for the child
- In the case of same sex parents please call us and we will explain how to register your child
If you are unsure about whether you can register, please get in touch and we'll be happy to answer your questions.
- It is free to register a birth.
- Certificates cost £4 each. You can opt to buy short certificates which just show the child's details, or long certificates which show both the child's and parents' details.
- You can pay by cash or card.
Corrections made later can cost up to £90
Make sure all the information you give the registrar is correct and check the details thoroughly before you sign.
It can cost up to £90 to correct a birth certificate.
If you can't register in the district where your child was born
If you are unable to register your child where they were born, you can go to any Register Office in England and Wales and 'Attest A Declaration'.
That Register Office then sends us the details and we post your certificates to you within a few days.
Re-registering your child's birth
This service is for parents who were not married when their child was born, who have since married.
The child can be re-registered so that the birth certificate shows they are a child of the marriage.
A welcoming ceremony is a way of celebrating a child's birth or welcoming adopted or step children into the family.
As experts in ceremonies of all kinds, we take great pleasure in planning these ceremonies with families and celebrating the arrival of a new member of your family.
For more information